Location: Southeastern US
POWER provided multidiscipline design services, including project management and construction support for an elevated, Class 100,000 Clean Room connector leading from the optical glass manufacturing area (referred to as rod-in-tube or RIT) to the optical fiber draw process area (referred to as ultra tall draw or UTD). The two facilities are located in heavily congested areas and are approximately 100 feet from one another. POWER presented several connector schemes and worked closely with the client to choose an optimal design scheme. The new connector spans a fire lane, pedestrian walkways and a variety of underground utilities. POWER evaluated the material flow and handling requirements to accommodate the transportation of cumbersome and delicate glass rods from one process area to another. During schematic design, POWER gathered and compiled data as a basis for design criteria, defining spatial, functional and material requirements.
Project services during final design included the following:
- Performed structural analysis to determine column base reactions, soil pressures, frame deflections and connection requirements.
- Designed the foundation system, an elevated floor system and a preform elevator pit.
- Provided architectural design for the connector and elevator design coordination.
- Determined a strategy for interconnecting new system components with existing systems.
- Provided heating and cooling design with pressure and humidity control for the preform corridor.
- Identified and coordinated routing corridors for hydronic and vacuum piping, and ensured corridors were in compliance with codes and regulations.
- Performed detailed design of the central vacuum system pipe routing and tie-in details to existing systems.
- Coordinated with the client to assemble a load list for the electrical loads to be served.
- Selected lighting fixtures for design purposes and performed lighting level calculations.
- Furnished an exterior architectural rendering.
- Provided engineering support and coordination during construction.
- Provided on-site construction support and monitoring services.