After a series of expensive power outages at its Salt Lake City refinery, Tesoro hired POWER to study its facility then design and implement a plan to bolster reliability of the century-old facility. The ultimate goal included the ability to island the refinery from the utility grid without disruption. The refinery’s electrical system relied on a single overhead 46 kV line to distribute power to the multiple load centers, which included two cogeneration units connected to the same bus. During the study, the refinery was contemplating several new electrical load additions to manage a heavier crude oil. POWER recommended a fully redundant and growth flexible electrical system, including two feeders for every load distribution center. The project modernized the refinery electrical system, including deploying advanced IEC 61850 protection and control schemes. The project also split cogeneration units onto separate buses. This same architecture also supports a complex load preservation system, implemented during a later project.
- Executed a complex design and implementation plan to reduce electrical disruption to the active refinery.
- Provided capacity and connections for the new refinery loads.
- Successfully designed and implemented a new protection and relaying system using five IEC 61850 GOOSE messaging schemes to reduce wiring, enable easier programming fixes and reduce long-term costs.
- Separated the two linked cogeneration units to remove a single point of failure and boost reliability of steam generation, which drives a number of important refinery processes.
Services and Features
- Design of a new Rocky Mountain Power 138×46 kV ring bus substation and transmission lines
- Design of a new adjoining Tesoro 138×46 kV main substation with two redundant transformers and main-tie-tie-main 13.8 kV distribution center
- Design of three new 5 kV distribution centers
- Design of a new 13.8 kV distribution system
- Design for the reconnection of forty 2.4 kV and 5 kV load feeders to the new power distribution centers
- Secure and reliable high speed protection and relaying design
- Design and implementation of a refinery-wide electrical SCADA system
- Procurement, analysis and schedule updates
- Testing and commissioning